Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the School of Neuroscience
VT Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Neuroscience (SURF-N)
To be eligible to apply to this program, students must be currently enrolled in a neuroscience major at Virginia Tech. Application requirements and deadlines are listed below:
Student fellows will be expected to spend 40 hours per week immersed in a research environment assisting in an ongoing project in the faculty mentor’s laboratory. Students will be provided with real-world neuroscience research experience and bench skills beneficial to career development. The fellowship will provide financial support with a stipend of $4,000. Laboratory work will be conducted in-person in a VT School of Neuroscience-affiliated lab, and the program will conclude with a virtual poster session in the SoN research retreat where students will present their work. In addition to the poster presentation, research fellowship participants will be required to write a summary of their research for a SoN annual publication highlighting student research achievements.
· Application deadline is April 1, 2022.
· Awardees will be notified on April 15, 2022.
· SURF-N program dates: May 31 – August 5, 2022.
· Research Summary/Abstract: Date to be determined.
· Research Poster Symposium – Date to be determined.
· Identify a SoN-core faculty or a SoN-affiliated faculty mentor who you are interested to work with (PLEASE NOTE: It is not necessary to contact the faculty mentor, just enter the faculty member’s name).
· Submit a one-page personal statement that describes: (a) why you are interested to work with the noted faculty mentor; (b) your research interests, previous research experience (if any), and expectations for the summer research experience.
· Upload your unofficial transcript. (Eligible students will have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.)
· Upload a recent resume/CV.