Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the School of Neuroscience
February 1, 2019
The VT School of Neuroscience is excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Neuroscience.
To be eligible to apply to this program, students must be currently enrolled in a neuroscience major at Virginia Tech. Application requirements and deadlines are listed below:
VT SoN SURF-N (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Neuroscience):
The SURF-N program is an 11-week summer fellowship program, giving students the opportunity to experience a neuroscience laboratory, contribute to active research projects under the direction and leadership of School of Neuroscience faculty, and gain valuable experience in data presentation at the end of the summer. The expectation is that students will spend 40 hours per week immersed in a research environment assisting their faculty mentor in an ongoing research project. Students will be provided with real-world neuroscience research experience and bench skills beneficial to career development. This fellowship provides financial support with a stipend of $3,500. The program concludes with a SoN research retreat during which students are required to present their work.
- The application deadline for the SURF-N Program is March 1, 2019.
- Awardees will be notified on March 22, 2019.
- SURF-N Dates: June 10 – August 24, 2019.
- Research Poster Symposium – August 16, 2019.
- Students must identify and meet with a SoN-affiliated faculty mentor who will help them develop their personal statement based on the individual research project.* A brief statement of support from this affiliated faculty member is required along with the application.
- The one-page personal statement, required for application submission, will describe the student’s research interest, the project they will be working on, and their expectations for this research experience.
- Eligible students will have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and will provide unofficial copies of their transcripts along with their application.
- Students must submit a current copy of their resume/CV.
- Students will submit their application via the online portal available on the SoN website.
- All questions regarding the SURF-N application process should be directed to Dr. Georgia Hodes or Dr. Chris Thompson.
*NOTE: Identification of an affiliate faculty member and discussion of a research plan does not guarantee you will be granted a fellowship.
*Once accepted, students may be required to complete lab safety training prior to starting work in the laboratory.
*ALL research fellowship participants are required to present their research at the Research Fellowship Symposium, scheduled for Friday, August 16, 2018.