Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the School of Neuroscience
January 9, 2020
VT SoN SURF-N (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Neuroscience):
The VT School of Neuroscience is now accepting applications for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Neuroscience (SURF-N). The fellowship program provides students the opportunity to work day-to-day in a neuroscience laboratory with stipend support. Students will be contributing to active research under the direction and leadership of School of Neuroscience faculty and will gain valuable experience in data presentation at a research symposium and poster session at the end of the summer.
To be eligible to apply to this program, students must be currently enrolled in a neuroscience major at Virginia Tech. Application requirements and deadlines are listed below:
Students are expected to spend 40 hours per week immersed in a research environment assisting their faculty mentor in an ongoing research project. Students will be provided with real-world neuroscience research experience and bench skills beneficial to career development. This fellowship provides financial support with a stipend of $3,500. The program concludes with a SoN research retreat during which students are required to present their work. In addition to the poster presentation, all research fellowship participants are required to generate a written summary of their research for a SoN annual publication highlighting the research achievements of our students. The written summary will include: Title, authors and affiliations, abstract (between 250 to 450 words), methods, results, figures with figure legends for each, conclusions (findings and discussion), and references cited.
- The application deadline for the SURF-N Program is March 1st, 2020.
- Awardees will be notified on March 31st, 2020.
- SURF-N Dates: June 10th - August 19th, 2020.
- Research Summary/Abstract: Date to be determined.
- Research Poster Symposium – Date to be determined.
- Students must identify and meet with a SoN-affiliated faculty mentor who will help them develop their personal statement based on the individual research project.* A brief statement of support from this affiliated faculty member is required along with the application.
- The one-page personal statement, required for application submission, will describe the student’s research interest, the project they will be working on, and their expectations for this research experience.
- Eligible students will have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and will provide unofficial copies of their transcripts along with their application.
- Students must submit a current copy of their resume/CV.
- Students will submit their application via the online portal available on the SoN website.
- All questions regarding the SURF-N application process should be directed to Dr. Georgia Hodes or Dr. Chris Thompson.
*NOTE: Identification of an affiliate faculty member and discussion of a research plan does not guarantee you will be granted a fellowship.
*Once accepted, students may be required to complete lab safety training prior to starting work in the laboratory.
*ALL research fellowship participants are required to present their research at the Research Fellowship Symposium.