Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the School of Neuroscience
March 17, 2021
VT Neuroscience Summer Undergraduate Neuroscience Fellowship (NeuroSURF)
To be eligible to apply to this program, students must be currently enrolled in a neuroscience major at Virginia Tech. Application requirements and deadlines are listed below:
Student fellows will be expected to spend 40 hours per week immersed in a research environment assisting in an ongoing project in the faculty mentor’s laboratory. Students will be provided with real-world neuroscience research experience and bench skills beneficial to career development. The fellowship will provide financial support with a stipend of $4,000. Laboratory work will be conducted in-person in a VT School of Neuroscience-affiliated lab, and the program will conclude with a virtual poster session in the SoN research retreat where students will present their work. In addition to the poster presentation, research fellowship participants will be required to write a summary of their research for a SoN annual publication highlighting student research achievements.
- Application deadline is April 1, 2021.
- Awardees will be notified on April 16, 2021.
- NeuroSURF program dates: May 31 – August 6, 2021.
- Research Summary/Abstract: Date to be determined.
- Research Poster Symposium – Date to be determined.
- Identify a SoN-core faculty or a SoN-affiliated faculty mentor who you are interested to work with (PLEASE NOTE: It is not necessary to contact the faculty mentor, just enter the faculty member’s name).
- Submit a one-page personal statement that describes: (a) why you are interested to work with the noted faculty mentor; (b) your research interests, previous research experience (if any), and expectations for the summer research experience.
- Upload your unofficial transcript. (Eligible students will have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.)
- Upload a recent resume/CV.
- Applications can be submitted via the online portal available on the SoN website.