- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- BS, Biology, China Agriculture University
- PhD, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- My research explores how diet, lifestyle and other factors affect cognitive function, especially in diabetic and obese populations. I use surveys and data science to explore factors tied to impairment of cognitive function and animal models to investigate mechanisms of impairment.
- I am also interested in the study of pedagogical methods that improve engagement and learning for college students.
- Fu Z*, Komelski MF and Kumar A. Physically active diabetics report lower rates of impaired cognitive function—findings from the 2012 national health interview survey. Conference abstract. 2018, American Diabetes Association. (*corresponding author)
- Fu Z, Wu J, Nesil N et al. Long-term high-fat diet induces hippocampal microvascular insulin resistance and cognitive dysfunction. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 312(2): E89–E97.
Selected publications from previous research:
- Fu Z, Zhao L, Aylor KW, et al. Angiotensin-(1-7) recruits muscle microvasculature and enhances insulin's metabolic action via mas receptor. 2014; 63(6): 219-27
- Fu Z, Gilbert ER and Liu D. Regulation of insulin synthesis and secretion and pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction in diabetes. 2012; Curr Diabetes Rev. 2013 Jan 1; 9(1): 25-53.
- Fu Z, Zhang W, Zhen W et al. Genistein induces pancreatic beta-cell proliferation through activation of multiple signaling pathways and prevents insulin-deficient diabetes in mice. Endocrinology. 2010; 151(7):3026-37