- B.S. in biology, Radford University
- Ph.D. in Biomedical and Veterinary Science, Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
I receive my bachelor’s degree in biology at Radford University, where I studied the interaction of the immune system and the stress response in wild house sparrows. As a PhD student at the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, my research focused on nanoparticles and their ability to act as drug delivery vehicles, as well as their potential to cause harm and activate inflammation in the lungs. During my post-doc, I studied the sex differences in the immune system and its role in the behavioral response to stress.
My research interests include the role of the immune system in the behavioral response to stress as it pertains to mood disorders.
- Willams TM, Leeth RA, Rothschild DE, McDaniel DK, Coutermarsh-Ott SL, Simmons AE, Kable KH, Heid B, Allen IC. (2015). Caspase-11 Attenuates Gastrointestinal Inflammation and Experimental Colitis Pathogenesis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol.
- Williams TM, Leeth RA, Rothschild DE, Coutermarsh-Ott SL, McDaniel DK, Simmons AE, Heid Bettina, Cecere TE, Allen IC. (2015). The NLRP1 Inflammasome Attenuates Colitis and Colitis Associated Tumorigenesis. Journal of Immunology.
- McDaniel DK, Eden K, Ringel V, and Allen IC. (2016). Emerging Roles for Non-canonical NF-κB Signaling in the Modulation of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Pathobiology. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
- McDaniel DK, Jo A, Ringel-Scaia V, Coutermarsh-Ott S, Rothschild DE, Powell M, Zhang Rui, Long TE, Oestreich K, Riffle JS, Davis R, and Allen IC. (2017). TIPS Pentacene Loaded PEO-PDLLA Core-Shell Nanoparticles have Similar Cellular Uptake Dynamics in M1 and M2
- Macrophages and In Corresponding In Vivo Microenvironments. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 13(3).
- Ringel-Scaia V, McDaniel DK, Allen IC. (2016). Goldilocks Conundrum: NLR Inflammasome Modulation of Gastrointestinal Inflammation during Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Critical Reviews in Immunology.
- Eden K, Rothschild DE, McDaniel DK, Heid B, and Allen IC. (2017). Noncanonical NF-kB Signaling and the Essential Kinase NIK Modulate Critical Features Associated with Eosinophilic Esophagitis Pathogenesis. Disease Models & Mechanisms.
- Rothschild DE, McDaniel DK, Ringel-Scaia VM, and Allen IC. (2018). Modulating Inflammation through the Negative Regulation of NF-kB Signaling. Journal of Leukocyte Biology.
- Roth KL, Epley CC, Novak JJ, McAndrew ML, McDaniel DK, Davis J, Allen IC, Morris AJ, and Grove TZ. (2018). Photo-triggered Release of 5-fluorouracil from a MOF Drug Delivery Vehicle. Chemical Communications.
- McDaniel DK, Ringel-Scaia VM, Coutermarsh-Ott SL, Allen IC. (2018) Utilizing the Lung as a Model to Study Nanoparticle Based Drug Delivery Systems. In: Sirianni R., Behkam B. (eds) Targeted Drug Delivery. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1831. Humana Press, New York, NY.
- McDaniel DK and Allen IC. Using Klebsiella pneumoniae to Model Acute Lung Inflammation in Mice. (2019). Mouse Models of Innate Immunity. Ed. Irving C. Allen. New York: Springer.
- Ringel-Scaia VM, Qing Y, Thomas C, Huie KE, McDaniel DK, Eden K, Wade P, Allen IC. (2019). Maternal Influence and Murine Housing Confounds Impact of NLRP1 Inflammasome on Microbiome Composition. Journal of Innate Immunity.
- Ringel-Scaia VM, White N, Lorenzo M, Brock R, Huie K, Coutermarsh-Ott S, Eden K, McDaniel DK, Verbige S, Rossmeisl J, Oestreich K, Davalos R, and Allen IC. (2019). High-Frequency Irreversible Electroporation is an Effective Tumor Ablation Strategy that Induces Immunologic Cell Death and Promotes Anti-Tumor Immunity. Cancer Research.
- Tsyglakova M, McDaniel DK, Hodes G. (2019). Immune mechanisms of stress susceptibility and resilience: lessons from animal models. Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology.